Wednesday, May 28, 2008

What difference does it make if someone is "Multi-racial"?????

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24542138

Ok, so MSN News today has an article on being multi-racial and what it means to be multi-racial as well as the current population of each states ethnic make up including the multi-racial citizenry. It goes on to mention that this has come up because of the fact that Barrack Obama is a multi-racial man and how this effects the voters views of him and each other.

Wow, is mainstream America trying to figure out what us "Multi-racial" people consider ourselves and how we view the world, the US, as well as the current Politic?????

HELL NO..... ITS JUST ANOTHER STUPID ARTICLE TO FILL UP SPACE.

I am considered multi-cultural. I am Portuguese, Chinese, German, and Irish. I am also First generation American. But if you ask me what ethnic group I consider myself my answer would depend on where I was and who I was with most of the time. If you ask someone else what ethnic group that I was a member of the answer given would depend on the same thing.
(When I am with my mothers Portuguese family I am damn sure going to say Portuguese)

I can only give you one persons perspective. Mine. So let me give it to you strait. I do not generally define people as Black, White, Asian, or Hispanic except when discussing racial make up. Not ethnic make up or nationality. These definitions really mean nothing in the context of ethnic make up. An Italian guy does not say "Im White!!!!" He says " Im Italian!!" or "Im Sicilian!!" (Yes, there is a difference. Dont know what it is ask them. They will tell you believe me!!) Only in this country do "Black People" call themselves that so when I am in discussion with a self described "Black" person I will agree with them. But if you go to Africa the local people define themselves by tribal affiliation. Not " Im Black". ( But ask a Black American what nationality an Italian is and he will say "White".)

Hispanics dont say "Im Hispanic." They will tell you there nation of origin or in some cases what native tribe in South American they come from. And please, dont guess. Hispanics (Racial make up) can become very irate if you refer to them as something they are not. (Call a Salvadorian Puarto Rican and you'll see what I mean) Oh and Hispanic does NOT include people from Spain. They will say "I am not Hispanic. I am Spanish!!!!!" ( Same rule that goes with the Italians goes here. Ask one. They will tell you.)

Oh and all the rules that apply to "Hispanics" apply to "Asians" except what most people in the U.S. define as Asian is really, really broad. And in many cases wrong. Ask someone from Malaysia what nationality they are. Talk about a racially diverse country. Or Sri Lanka.

My point in all this is to take the time to ASK someone.

If you want to know what I really consider myself its something that all people no matter what country of origin, who live in the U.S. and are U.S. citizens should be quick to answer.

I am an American First and Foremost.

If you are a U.S. citizen ask yourself why thats not your first answer.

-CHefdino-





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home