Tuesday, March 07, 2006

This D.C. yankee loves North Carolina.

All I can say is " I love N.C." What a great state to live in. Clean air, good schools, great cost of living, plenty of jobs available and now lots of ethnic diversity. We have one of the fastest growing Hispanic populations in the nation. Not to mention large Asian and Indian communities also. I can get all of the ethnic groceries I want at anytime. Who would have thought it???

When I first moved to N.C. every yankee that came to the Raleigh area was directed to move to Cary. I have a feeling that the reason that was pushed on me was that the locals wanted to keep all us Yankee's in one area. ( Local joke Cary=Containment Area for Relocated Yankees) After a little research I realized that I did not like Cary so much. I moved south for a better way of life for my family and myself. Not to move to a neighborhood like the one I left. The "Southern" carolina lifestyle is a relaxed, mind your own business but keep God in mind kinda feel to it. Now I suffer from a lack of zeal for any organized religion. Thats just me. No harm no foul. But here in the South, the religious undertones provide an early start for my child to grasp a sense of ethics and morals that I feel was lacking in the North. I am not saying "Grab your Bible and beat the drums we are having a revival!!" What I am saying is a strong foundation in some sort of positive code of ethics shared by and large by the community is a great place to start. Whatever my child choses to do or worship or follow is ultimately going to be up to her. I am not going to force my beliefs on her. What I will do is provide an outline of belief structure that she can carry around with her for as long as she wants.

Thank you North Carolina for helping me find such a structure in the community. We did not have this in the North.

-CHefdino-

3 Comments:

Blogger hippietim said...

Growing up in Northern Virginia was pretty much as you described life in NC. We had plenty of churches and religious folks around us. We had way more diversity growing up than NC still has.

The difference is that now the place is a total disaster. It is overpopulated, has inadequate infrastructure, and the cost of living is insane. Of course those problems just lead to frustration and far too much crime.

As for Cary, it's OK. Really. At least in our neighborhood there is plenty of church going folks, people that will look out for their neighbors, they wave as you drive by - it's pretty nice. Don't get me wrong, I don't like all of my neighbors but that's true of everywhere I've ever lived. Heck, you don't like all of your neighbors either Chefdino.

There is plenty of snobbery in Cary but we don't live in the heart of it. Again, you will have that in any area. I've seen snobbery and arrogance in trailer parks. It ain't about the address - it's about the asshole in the house.

8:46 AM  
Blogger dino said...

Very good point Hippie. It is the asshole in the home. Having spent time in your neighborhood I would say you have a good one. And no, I don't care for the majority of my own nieghbors. Having said that, the point I was trying to make but maybe did not do so very well was not how I dislike Cary but how surprised I was that I would like the Carolina's and how much I really do enjoy it still. How surprising it is to me to like the ethics of the "Christian Right". I do not agree with the politics, but I like the moral message.

4:43 PM  
Blogger hippietim said...

I'm with you Dino. Living in Seattle gave me an appreciation for what I had growing up around southern folks. The west coast is nice to visit...

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home